The Novel Coronavirus (nCoV) count has climbed to a total of eight in UAE, with the Ministry of Health and Prevention confirming yet another case on Monday.
The patient is an Indian national who had interacted with a person recently diagnosed with the coronavirus, according to a ministry statement.
Earlier on Sunday, a 73-year-old Chinese national became the first case of recovery from the coronavirus brings much-needed respite to growing concerns.
The Ministry, in a statement, assuaged all fear and said that all reported cases are in a stable condition, barring one, who is being strictly monitored by a team of seniors at an Intensive Care Unit.
“We assure members of the community that we are taking all adequate preventative measures including check-ups and observation of the patient’s escorts,” it added.
Asking members of the public to remain alert and take all the necessary precautions and follow guidelines available on its website and the official website of health authorities in the UAE and elsewhere, the Ministry said, “The public is also advised to adopt protective health behaviours and avoid infectious diseases, including washing hands with soap and clean water and covering the mouth when coughing or sneezing to stop the spread of germs and viruses.”
Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation (WHO) is convening a global research and innovation forum today and tomorrow to mobilise international action and enable identification of key knowledge gaps and research priorities to contribute to the control of 2019-nCoV, according to the WHO website.
The forum will include members of the scientific community, researchers from Member States’ public health agencies, regulatory experts, bioethicists with expertise in research in emergencies, and major funder of research related to 2019- nCoV, the website states.