Here are six interesting facts that make the US Elections 2020 one of the most unique presidential elections of its time:
1) The Basics: Who Are The Candidates In The 2020 US Elections?
Donald Trump: Republican Party Candidate
Theare the conservative political party in the US and their candidate in this year’s election is President Donald Trump. The 74-year-old candidate is the 45th president of the United States and hopes to secure another four years in power.
Joe Biden: Democratic Party Candidate
Theare the liberal political party in the US and their candidate for the 2020 US Elections is Joe Biden. The 77-year-old candidate is a politician and is best-known for serving as Barack Obama’s vice president for eight years.
2) This Is The Most Expensive Election In US History
The 2020 US Election is projected to cost US$14 billion at closing. This will make it the most expensive elections in US history. In contrast, the 2016 elections cost a measly US$6.5 billion.
Center for Responsive Politics
3) This Is The First US Presidential Elections During A Pandemic
The 2020 election is the first time the United States has conducted a presidential election in the midst of a global pandemic (Coronavirus – COVID-19). The US had previously held its 1918 mid-term elections in the throes of the Spanish Flu that reportedly claimed 50 million lives. The Coronavirus has claimed (as of November 4, 2020) 1.22 million lives, and has infected 47.6 million people around the globe.
- He will become the first president to have a female vice president (Kamala Harris) in office.
- He will become the first president from the state of Delaware.
- Trump will become the first president ever to be beaten by a former vice president.
6) If Trump Wins:
- The US will have re-elected four presidents in a row.